Design and Development I:

During our Design and Development of Instructional Materials I class (ETEC 544), we covered analysis, design, and the development sections of the ADDIE model through a project-based approach which gave my group and I a deeper understanding of those sections of the ADDIE model. The class discussions were enriching and extremely helpful. The conversations we had with classmates gave our team a different perspective on our project and pointed out things we missed during our design process. To complete the final project we analyzed results, designed instruction, and developed instructional materials. 

 

While doing the project, the skills I learned, and more importantly applied, throughout the course are skills that I can easily transfer to my instructional design career. As a Jr. instructional designer, I have gone through some parts of the process of analysis, design, and development; but taking this class took those skills to a different analytical level.

 

The knowledge I gained from this course will significantly improve my daily discussions with faculty members when designing and developing their online courses. Fully understanding how the learning models are applied will allow me to have more productive conversations with faculty members about their classes. Overall, the knowledge I gained during this class will enable me to perform my job duties more efficiently and effectively.

Description of The Project 

The project we created was Camtasia 101: Record, Edit, and Share Your Videos. During the analysis phase of this project, we identified the audience, needs, abilities, and skills through a Qualtrics survey. The audience, who consisted of the ETEC 544 students, had little to no experience using video editing tools and none of them had any experience using Camtasia, which we saw as an advantage. 

 

During the design phase, the information we got from the analysis report was critical. We cemented our choices of using Camtasia as all the students have access to it through the computer lab. As a result, we designed an instructor-led one-hour in-class training. During this phase, we utilized document recovery, defined the necessary information for the in-class handouts, and training materials required for a successful training. We also identified the objectives our participants must achieve to make the training successful. The objectives were:   

  1. Participants should be able to record a video using Camtasia

  2. Participants should be able to edit a video using Camtasia

  3. Participants should be able to share a video on YouTube through Camtasia

After the design process was established and defined, we focused on the development.  

 

In the development phase, we gathered and created all of the elements needed for the in-class training. The first elements we developed were a detailed facilitator's guide and the in-class presentation. After this, we focused on reworking the information gathered through document recovery. We had a pre-training video from TechSmith.com, and we had to recreate the in-class handouts so they could achieve the training goals we set for them.

 

After analysis, design, and the development sections of the ADDIE  model, we did a small beta test to evaluate the success of our training. We had to make some minor changes, but overall I am happy to announce that the in-class training was successful with all of our participants being able to record, edit, and share their videos using Camtasia.

Conclusion

© 2019 by Elizabeth Viramontes. Proudly created with Wix.com